Do You See What I See?

Saturday, June 25, 2005

How 'Bout A Bath?

I'm a crier.

I think it stems from this big psychological bone in my body that emphasises with others. I use to be told that tears don't solve anything. I beg to differ - tears show that we can feel. They make physical what we are feeling. They make our feelings real and more than just thoughts. They tell us that no matter what will happen we can feel and we are here, physically, in this moment.

Two articles that have set the wet salty tears streaming down the face in amounts that I think may just break this drought is the source of today's post. Side note: As I have finished my uni classes until the 25th of July, blogging will become more frequent. Especially if The Computer can behave!

The best way to describe the first article is as an autobiographical recount of the moments when a twenty-three year old woman found out she had cancer. Her name is Alicia and she worked as a copy editor for the San Francisco Chronicle. She recounts the moments before her diagnosis and the subsequent emotions as she deals not only with the diagnosis but the various treatments and new 'achievements' as well. A pivotal moment is when she is able to administer her own needle. This recount will not only make you cry for the horrible things this poor young girl has to go through but for anyone who has had a loved one go through some form of treatment, if will be a reminder of their struggle. There is a statement that appears at the end of her last few chapters that states:
Alicia Parlette will then write occasionally about her life and her battle with cancer
that really set me off on the Road To Being Bathed In Tears. I fear for the day that I read that she has lost her battle with cancer. I don't know this girl but I have cried at every emotion she has experiences. I want to take away her pain but I am just useless.

The second article is an exploration of one of the real effects of the War in Iraq - the children who have lost mothers and fathers. The children whose father never got to hold them because they were born as their parent were in a war zone. One of the common things I hear from people who believed in this war was that it will leave its mark on history that people will look back on as something positive. I disagree. I think history will show us the futility of this war and that all these children have lost the physical existence of their parents in their lives because we sent them off to this war. How can you tell a child that their father or mother died helping their country when they can't get a hug from their Mummy or Daddy on their birthday or to see their child on their wedding day or when they graduate from high school or university. What will we say to those children when they are adults and we are looking back on our actions as Westerners in two decades. I do not know. All I know that of this time in the year 2005, I am sorry.